please make it easier to hack on frameworks

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 09:20:47 UTC 2013

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> hi ...
>
> today i am unable to work on plasma-frameworks. this is because i am
> currently unable to compile the frameworks branch of kdelibs. in turn,
> this is because i do not have a recent enough version of cmake.
>
> the cmake version required is 2.8.10.20130411. this isn't even a release
> version of cmake, but a dated snapshot! i am left with the option of
> moving to cmake from git (something i really would like to avoid) or not
> working on plasma-frameworks (which is not really an option for me).

I am clueless to understand why building cmake from git and installing it
into your kf5 prefix is a showstopper. Can you tell me?

I don't use kdescm-build, but as far as I understand it can build cmake from
git for you. Do you use that? Are you asking for the required cmake version
to be the version available through a distro package? Why is it easier for
you if we rely on the latest actual release?

The fact that the required cmake version is a dated snapshot is an
implementation detail. When a release candidate comes out, the version used
on build.kde.org (which is versioned as a dated snapshot and which is close
to the RC) is what I update the requirement to
http://build.kde.org/job/cmake/. I assumed anyone who cares would be
building cmake from git because it's the most convenient and smart way to do
it.

This use of the CMake RC in frameworks has found actual bugs in the cmake
release candidates (most recently in the 2.8.11 RC 1), so we should continue
to depend on the latest release candidate. CMake release candidates are
actual candidates for release, that's not just a label.

Once the release candidate cycle starts, a new RC is made every one or two
weeks. I've added a better error message to inform you of that. I think it's
a reasonable compromise.

> i am sure there was a good reason to move to this new version of cmake. i
> am also sure that requiring devel versions of build tools to work on
> frameworks limits the people who can and will work on it.

Yes, many good reasons. CMake and Qt are our most important dependencies. As
in Qt, work on CMake in the interest of Frameworks is also being done, and
we're testing and using those new features.

Thanks,

Steve.