Notifications-future, a recap

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 18:09:19 UTC 2012

2012/9/17 David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
> On Monday 17 September 2012 17:49:23 Dario Freddi wrote:
>> a server API (so that the
>> server can be put into runtime rather easily)
>
> Just a note on that: the plan with KDE Frameworks, is that there will be no
> more libs/runtime separation. A framework will come with any runtime stuff it
> might need, to make things more modular.
>
> Of course if you mean 'there could be multiple "servers" which handle
> visualization' then that's different, we don't want a framework to ship all
> GUIs and therefore end up with too many dependencies. E.g. the kjob framework
> doesn't ship the plasma visualization stuff :-)
>
> But mandatory runtime requirements such as daemons and stuff, should be part of
> the framework, in the future.

Definitely, sorry for the confusion - the server (handling the
grouping/dispatching logic) WILL be shipped with the framework,
whereas an API for building handlers (applications, applet) will be
provided.

TBH I don't see many benefits in allowing multiple servers at this
stage - maybe in a bright future, where this could become a standard,
it would make sense to have just a way for creating a server. For now
I'd stick to the plan of shipping the entire solution :)