kdelibs splitting: on hold

Kevin Ottens ervin+bluesystems at kde.org
Mon Nov 19 16:52:14 UTC 2012

Hello mechanics[*],

Just a quick email to let you know that everyone should consider the kdelibs
splitting tasks on hold. I edited the wiki page accordyingly, but I thought
it'd be welcome to also email about that move:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Splitting_kdelibs

The reasoning is that this splitting effort mainly stalled for two reasons a)
not enough effort put into it (like other areas nothing new) and b) we reached
the point of splits touching the core of kdeui.

It turns out that the work down during Platform 11 to find the right places to
split was excellent regarding kdecore but way too partial for kdeui. So most
of the splits that should have been started since June got harder than
necessary (there's a couple of exceptions of course) because of unsolved
business in kdeui.

That's why the splitting is officially on hold now, we need to get the hard
point of kdeui out of the way first, which will require cleanups in kdeui and
upstreaming some features to Qt. I collected the relevant tasks in the
existing wiki pages for those topics:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/kdelibs_cleanups
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Qt_5.1_Merging

Please everyone focus on those, they are overall easier tasks and more
efficient to get us closer to our goal at that point.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards.

[*] Yes, I'm still experimenting with the "people in team" name. :-)
Auto mechanics being the craftsman able to work on the chassis (framework) of
your car... How does it sound?
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net