KLocale plans

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Nov 8 19:50:53 UTC 2012

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> Unfortunatelly, sometimes the programmer also does not handle the path
>> directly (e.g. icons). Any idea here?
>
> [: David Faure :]
> Well, KIconLoader could call the same method...

Oh, right. Since actually I cannot recall a case of under-the-hub paths
needing localization other than icons, I'm happy with this.

> The way it was done in KStandardDirs is... a bit too generic. Who needs ~/
> .kde/share/config/l10n/fr/kmailrc ? Slowing down every file lookup for
> unnecessary use cases is wasteful and confusing. [...] I wonder if this
> feature is currently used?

As for icons, I (in Serbian translation) used it for some, generally those
which had some text on them. I admit I haven't seen anyone else being that
picky :)

One other general category I had in mind were splash screens. Developers of
KMyMoney have specifically called translators to localize it, while
developers of Amarok have specifically rejected translators asking to
lokalize it ("brand recognition" or something :) But directly calling
localizedFilePath() works just fine for this use.

> I suggest to keep the method in ki18n for now.

Ok, agreed.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)