Directory organization for frameworks with a namespace

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Nov 7 16:41:15 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 07 November 2012 16:50:39 David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 29 October 2012 07:40:29 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > Generated forward headers definitely have my preference as they indeed
> > separate the include organization from the "implementation detail" of how
> > the sources are organized.
>
> In fact we don't even *have* to generate them. Unlike the CamelCase Qt
> headers, I'm thinking of lowercase forwarding headers here, not installed,
> so no need for them to be ever changed-before-install.

Right, they just need to be generated before build.

> This makes it rather simple:
>
> src/include/kio/job.h: #include "../../../core/job.h"
>
> Well I can ship a script to create them, but still commit them (not have
> cmake run the script). Better for dependency handling, and simpler overall.

Also more error prone, it'd mean people would have to manually run a script
when they add a public header. I think it's a case where automation would be
better to be honest.

> > > Any other ideas?
> >
> > The only alternative I see would be:
> [...]
> Sorry for being so pragmatic, but I think we have enough work ahead of us
> without creating even more work for ourselves.

Well, you asked for other ideas, that's what I provided. I just meant it was
the last option not yet on the table to be evaluated. I don't think it's
practical either.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net