API review: KDBusApplicationStarter

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed May 23 09:21:37 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 23 May 2012 11:12:56 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 23 de maio de 2012 10.18.26, David Faure wrote:
> > >
> > > Can't we use D-Bus service starting now? What is missing in the daemon?
> >
> > The ability to locate /d/kde/inst/kde5/bin/kuiserver ?
>
> D-Bus can find it if /d/kde/inst/kde5/share was on $XDG_DATA_DIRS at launch.
(*)

Which is not the case when running a kde5 application in a kde4 desktop, as is
my case right now.

[paths adjusted above to make the discussion clearer]

I see the point, that this is a developer-only problem, which can be solved by
running a separate DBus session when doing such things, though....

Well, OK, I'll do a few tests with QDBusConnectionInterface::startService
(which requires ".service" files, right?), to check that it can work for us,
including error handling.

(*) ... and /d/kde/inst/kde5/bin is in the $PATH, or the .service file has an
absolute path, I presume...