libqtmimetypes ?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:01:59 UTC 2012

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> Why though? Just to get tier2 libraries building standalone? What you
>> propose isn't good enough that it gets the tier2 libraries into a final
>> state as you say, so why bother?
>
> It is good enough to make it possible to build them standalone, and have
> the supporting cmake code almost in the final state.
> This includes getting correct build dependencies (include dirs) and cmake
> dependencies, where do the files and where do the variables which are used
> in a tier2 library come from.

Right, I see.

> It will also help to get e-c-m into shape.
>
>> It also looks like it might introduce subtle bugs
>
> Maybe. But until now we also did quite good in KDE4 without the exported
> targets, so it shouldn't be too bad.
>
>> and be complex to maintain.
>
> Can't be much more complex than it is now ;-)
>
>> For example, why _LIBRARY instead of _LIBRARIES?
>
> This is what I asked myself when I looked the first at the Config.cmake
> files you create via ECMQtFramework.cmake ;-)
> I'll happily change this to plural.

Yes, please. I must not have known the difference back when I wrote
ECMQtFramework.cmake :)

>> Someone looking at it will
>> think they should use _LIBRARY for their own stuff. If it's _LIBRARY
>> because it is a temporary thing, then the _ at PROJECT_NAME@_LIBRARY should
>> be used by the caller (with the leading underscore). Also, if this is a
>> tier2 config file, then where does ${@PROJECT_NAME at _LIBRARY_DIR} come
>> from?
>
> What is the difference in this regard between a tier1 and tier2 library ?

I was misunderstanding where the snippet would go. I thought the tier2
library would need to know the tier1 LIBRARY_DIR, but I see now I was wrong
with that.

>> I think it makes more sense to wait until the features are available to
>> make it possible to get to our final state (Yury's work).
>
> If this happens soon, yes.
> At least I don't want to wait with this until cmake 2.8.9 has been
> released.

Yury seems to be busy at the moment and hasn't mailed the cmake list yet. We
might have to plan for him not being able to finish the feature. Maybe I can
finish it if needed.

Thanks,

Steve.