kcoreaddons doesn't compile standalone ?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon May 14 18:28:17 UTC 2012

On Sunday 13 May 2012 14:06:44 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Sunday 13 May 2012, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > The real solution would be to start splitting the repositories, but I'm
> > concerned it could be too early in the game, there's still quite some
> > moves going on.
>
> Yes.
> The "lots of manual setup" David mentions, will be the normal case for 3rd
> party developers who want to use let's say some tier>1 library.
> They will have to get and build all the small repositories themselves one by
> one, without the help of kdesrc-build.

Why without the help of kdesrc-build?

> At least that's my experience, if you want to build some
> proprietary/independent package, people in general try to avoid extra
> dependencies (...that's why we integrated automoc into cmake).

It's tied for a great deal with the tooling. Right now we're lacking in that
department for sure. Still that shouldn't stop us from working in the proper
direction for those tools to come (I'm mainly thinking about inqlude, and
kdesrc-build which is getting more features... you also even hinted at
something named superbuilds in the past, but can't really recall the details).

For the record, I've been playing with some scala based pet project lately. In
great part to see what happens in other ecosystems. And the dependencies
management there is truely impressive[*], there's lessons to be learned in my
opinions and a clear direction for improvement.

Regards.

[*] That's JVM based project, but in the pure javascript/node.js based world
the picture is about the same.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net