setting EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH in tier1/ tests ? (RPATH related)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun May 13 09:27:10 UTC 2012

On Saturday 12 May 2012 21:50:51 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Using RPATH instead of RUNPATH would make our unit tests run reliably in
> all  cases.

Yep, I would like that :)

The only case I can think of, where RUNPATH is better than RPATH, is when you
want to force an existing KDE installation to use a different library (Qt, or
any other lib) than the one it was compiled with. You set $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
that effect, and... no change, it keeps using the rpath that got hardcoded into
the executables. This is why I thought RUNPATH was better (gives more control
to the user), but now I see that we don't always want that (unittest case).

On the other hand, if *everything* has a proper RUNPATH, then maybe the fault
is on my side, I just shouldn't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all?

Hmm, doesn't work currently:
objdump -p /d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks-qt5/lib64/kde5/libexec/kioslave
  RPATH                lib64:/d/qt/5/qtbase-master/lib
  RUNPATH            lib64:/d/qt/5/qtbase-master/lib
This looks wrong, the first entry should be
  /d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks-qt5/lib64