kdelibs (tier1) splitting package/repository granularity

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu May 10 21:00:16 UTC 2012

On Thursday 10 May 2012, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Wednesday 9 May 2012 21:38:55 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > I understand correctly that tier1 libs do not have any dependencies
> > between each other, right ?
>
> Correct.
>
> > Do we plan to put each of those into a separate repository and release as
> > a separate package ?
>
> Correct. Still some work needed before we get there though, we're waiting
> for the last possible moment to do the splitting.

Hmm, not sure I really want to say this, but...

I'm not sure it is necessary and brings real benefits to release all those
small libraries spearately.

The situation with the tier1 libs is very different than with KDE4 kdelibs: no
dependencies between each other, no runtime dependencies.

Why not put all tier1 libraries into one repository and release them as one
package ?
Keep tier2 and tier3 libraries, or those which introduce different runtime
dependencies, or those which are "big", separate.

qxt does this too, and it's no problem for 3rd party users.

Having the tier1 libs in one repository would at least make maintaining the
buildsystem easier (simply less work), and it may make building the whole
thing a bit more convenient, since you have less packages to build.
For kdelibs developers it would be probably also a bit more convenient.

Of course each of the libs can be switched on and off separately...

So, what are the real benefits of e.g. releasing the 6-file library
kdbusaddons as a separate package ?

Alex