Removing WinCE support

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue May 8 20:04:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

KDAB made kdelibs in some way work with Win CE.

Now Win CE is a very different OS, and IMO we should not even strive to port
KDE to such OSs (limitations in address space per process, static linking
only, etc.). This is not anti-MS, this also applies for other embedded OSs
like e.g. eCos.

Add to that that CMake does not support WinCE.

So, we have code in kdelibs which can only be built with a patched version of
cmake, to make it portable to a very different OS.

I'd like to remove the code for Win CE in the frameworks branch.

A strong argument to keep it would be if the Win CE support would make it
upstream into cmake, so there would be at least a way to compile it.

Alex