Usage of COMPONENT in ECMQtFramework.cmake

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon May 7 20:31:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

the COMPONENT argument for install() is used in different ways in the
frameworks branch.

This is done:

set(ECM_TARGET_DEFAULT_ARGS
#   EXPORT ${PROJECT_NAME}LibraryTargets
  RUNTIME DESTINATION "${BIN_INSTALL_DIR}" COMPONENT ${PROJECT_NAME}
  LIBRARY DESTINATION "${LIB_INSTALL_DIR}" COMPONENT ${PROJECT_NAME}
  ARCHIVE DESTINATION "${LIB_INSTALL_DIR}" COMPONENT ${PROJECT_NAME}
)

which is reasonable as long as everything is still in one repository.
Then there are components like itemmodels, kcoreaddons, etc.

OTOH, there is

install(FILES
  "${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/${PROJECT_NAME}Config.cmake"
  "${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/${PROJECT_NAME}ConfigVersion.cmake"
  DESTINATION "${CMAKECONFIG_INSTALL_DIR}"
  COMPONENT Devel
)

so e.g. the Config file for itemmodels doesn't belong to the component
"itemmodels", but to the component "Devel", while e.g. the Windows lib file
belongs to "itemmodels", although it is clearly part of the development
package.

Is this intentionally ?

I'd prefer to put the development files always into a "Devel" component. Once
all libraries have moved into their own repositories, naming the component
after the library doesn't provide any benefit anymore, or am I missing
something ?

Alex