Modified build system for itemmodels

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat May 5 22:48:32 UTC 2012

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> attached are prototypes.
>
> Please have a look (ignore the version-related stuff for now).
>
> The Use-file is not there anymore, and the Config.cmake.in file is not
> there anymore.
> Instead it is now generated using the new function
> ecm_write_basic_package_config_file(), which fits in style with
> write_basic_package_version_file().
>
> This way the developer only has to care about which information he wants
> to put into the Config.cmake file, but does not have to care about more
> details anymore.

I think this is a good goal.

> This is also generic enough to be put into e-c-m or directly into cmake
> IMO.
>

> Do you have a suggestion for what to do with the version stuff ?
> You had more things in mind than the trivial version header as it is now.
>

> Maybe all that (creating the config file, creating the config version
> file, exporting the targets, installing those cmake files, creating the
> version header) can then be put all together into one big macro:
>
> kde_setup_package_stuff(NAME itemmodels
> INSTALL_DESTINATION ${CMAKECONFIG_INSTALL_PREFIX}/itemmodels/
> PATH_VARS    itemmodels_INCLUDE_DIR itemmodels_INSTALL_PREFIX
> OTHER_VARS   itemmodels_LIBRARIES itemmodels_HAVE_Foo
> EXTRA_CONFIG_STRING "#something more for the Config file"
> VERSION_VAR  itemmodels_VERSION_STRING
> COMPATIBLITY AnyNewerVersion
> VERSION_HEADER ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/itemmodels_version.h
> EXPORTS  ItemModelsTargets )

The size of this is scary to me. There are so many arguments (even though
they are named), that I don't know where to begin with it.

I also think ecm_write_basic_package_config_file has the same problem
though, even though it has fewer arguments.

I'll try to make a counter proposal soon so that we both have some concrete
stuff to try out.

Thanks,

Steve.