kdelibs splitting: collecting March results

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Mar 30 20:59:18 UTC 2012

Hello list,

For this month I decided to be a bit more relax and not chase after people and
see how it goes. Which means this email is going to be probably shorter than
usual. :-)

So, for this month were earmarked to be splitted out:
 * kauth;
 * kcoreaddons (left over from february);
 * kguiaddons
 * kwindowsystem
 * kcolorwidgets
 * kjobwidgets

AFAICT lots of progress as been made, congrats to everyone involved! That was
really nice to see new people helping and so a special kudo to Antonis
Tsiapaliokas and Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas who jumped the gun on a couple of non
trivial splits.

Now, what got done-done compared to the expected list? The answer is kauth and
kcoreaddons. Those one for sure are going to be completed in time, kcoreaddons
already moved to its tier folder, while kauth is just waiting for Dario to
merge his branch which got already reviewed. kwindowsystem just misses tests
at that point, but we'll delay the constraint for that one as it'll soon get a
port to xcb anyway (unrelated to the split but in turn impact the tests
constraint for the time being).

Now onto the "bad" news.

kguiaddons and kcolorwidgets are well underway as pointed out in this email,
but they still need a bit more work to be done-done AFAICT, and so they'll
likely get completed 	only in April... also they still lack an appointed
maintainer. We need volunteers!

As for kjobwidgets, I didn't start it on purpose... turns out it'd create a
library with only a couple of classes, and one of them would benefit from
being in a library with no QtGui ties. So it needs to be reevaluated what we
do with those classes.

So conclusion of March: 50% done-done, 50% well underway to be dealt with in
April.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net