[kdelibs/frameworks] /: Change kde4 to kde5 in subdir names (services, servicetypes, plugins etc.)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 27 11:38:14 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 27 March 2012 06:50:34 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Monday 26 March 2012 21:38:36 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > >
> > > Agreed. I think I'd try to avoid "kde5" though, it's quite internal
> > > indeed... put also pops up quite a bit in user support channels. So IMHO
> > > it'd be better if it wasn't carrying the "kde5" label as we said there
> > > won't be a "KDE5 platform".
> >
> > E.g. for the KDE-related files in extra-cmake-modules, I chose names which
> > simply contain "KDE", like KDEInstallDirs.cmake.
>
> Which makes sense in that case IMO, since it enforces the conventions
> followed by the KDE community.
>
> > Maybe instead of lib/kde4/ or lib/kde5/ lib/kde-kf5/ , which would mean
> > the
> > KDE based on kf5 ?
>
> The point is: there's no "KDE based on KF5". :-)
> There will be applications and workspaces based on KF5.

Well, yeah, but mostly "made by KDE".

Just like any Qt-based application is called in short "a Qt application", even
if it wasn't made by the Qt developers, I don't think we'll find a better name
than "a KDE application" for an application that is based on KDE Frameworks 5.

I like the idea of lib/kde-kf5/, it's shorter and clearer than than lib/apps-
and-workspaces-based-on-kf5/. But it really means "KDE KDE Frameworks 5", i.e.
it says KDE twice :-)

Clearly we need to bikeshed further to find a name that works :-)

Note that plugins, and by extension most use of servicetypes and services,
might all be obsoleted by the upcoming Qt plugin loading mechanism. We'll
still need a directory name for the "legacy code", i.e. kde4 plugin loading
mechanism ported to kde4, but I think we can live with "kde5" as a legacy name
there.

However, there's still the question of where to install application desktop
files, and for that I think applications/kde5 is fine. "Apps made by KDE on top
of Qt5/KF5". Other such apps, not made by kde, don't have to go into the kde5
subdir. This is just to keep applications/ a bit cleaner, and to avoid clashes
between kde4 and kf5-based applications on the same system.
Non-made-by-KDE apps can use versioning for that (e.g. scribus2.desktop), but
for us it's simpler to have kde5/{okular,kmail,kwrite,konqueror,...}.desktop
than to have to rename all of these files to include a version number :-)