[kdelibs/frameworks] /: Change kde4 to kde5 in subdir names (services, servicetypes, plugins etc.)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Mar 24 07:35:50 UTC 2012

On Friday 23 March 2012 22:03:43 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday 23 March 2012, David Faure wrote:
> > Git commit 6ad65714282a8e9e0c0cd699247f020fee763b12 by David Faure.
> > Committed on 23/03/2012 at 13:39.
> > Pushed by dfaure into branch 'frameworks'.
> >
> > Change kde4 to kde5 in subdir names (services, servicetypes, plugins etc.)
>
> So, we really want to call this "KDE 5" ?
>
> I thought the plan was that the whole thing will still be KDE4, but based on
> .. kdelibs 5, KDE frameworks 5 (kf5) or IMO KDE frameworks 1 (kf1).

We can call it something else, but we can't keep the subdir name "kde4", it
leads to loading incompatible services/plugins (based on qt4/kdelibs4) in a
kf5-based application.

The problem is that this install dir isn't only for kde frameworks, it's for
all apps to put their stuff into. So I didn't name it kf5 because it's not only
for KF5. Any part or plugin (or application desktop file, too) from a
[Qt5/]KF5-based-application will go in there.

And we can't really call it KDE SC 5 either, because apps not part of SC will
also put their stuff in there ;)

This subdir name isn't related to marketing anyway, it's quite internal.
But I'm certainly open to changing its name, I'm just pointing out that finding
the perfect naming isn't quite trivial...