patches on kcolors

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Mar 10 10:49:21 UTC 2012

On Thursday 08 March 2012 18:23:56 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Thursday 08 March 2012 18:08:15 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > David Faure wrote:
> > >
> > > This KDialog move looks good.
> > >
> > > KGuiItem should move to kguiaddons I think.
> > > Which means moving KIcon and KIconLoader/KIconTheme too (KGuiItem
> > > depends
> > > on it).
> > >
> > > Right Steve? We said we would keep KIcon/KIconLoader --> kguiaddons ?
> >
> > Well, considering that QIcon is in QWidgets, there's a widgets dependency
> > anyway.

Do you know if it was discussed/attempted to move it to QtGui?
Maybe I could do that next week, unless it has been decided against it.

On the other hand I don't really know what QML apps need, and whether QIcon
makes sense for them.

In KDE it's probably fine that most stuff goes into kwidgets, since most of our
code is based on that.

> > We did say we'd keep the KIcon{Loader,Engine,Theme} stuff, yes. Whether we
> > deprecate the KIcon class or replace it with methods in a namespace, I'm
> > not sure.
>
> I'd be in favor of replacing it with factory methods in a namespace indeed.
> That's really all there is to it.

So like KIcon::fromTheme("foo"), with documentation on how it differs from
QIcon::fromTheme? Hmm, but KIcon has to remain a class, not a namespace, for
compat (kde4support). Maybe we want to make it a method of
KIconLoader/KIconEngine instead?