Qt5 Locale and Date / Time (and apologies)

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Jan 17 17:19:39 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Saturday 14 January 2012 20:54:16 John Layt wrote:
> First up my apologies for having been so incommunicado these last couple of
> months, unfotunately I over-committed myself out in the real world and ended
> up with little time for KDE.  I've now dropped some of my Uni studies so I
> now have some time to try sort this little mess out.

It happens. Glad to see you back!

> So current status.  Most of the new API we needed in QLocale outside of
> date/time was actually added in Qt 4.8 (e.g. preferred language list), so
> not much work is needed there.  This mostly leaves the date/time API and
> API probably requires to be in 5.0.

Excellent!

> I had made good progress on the changes with the QDate clean-up and a new
> QDateCalculator/QCalendarSystem class [1], pulling the required settings and
> translations in from CLDR data, Windows and OSX.
>
> However Lars has proposed Qt5 actually switch to using ICU instead for
> localisation functions. This meant throwing away most of what I had done and
> replacing it with ICU calls, and I had started to try figure that out when
> the time crunch hit.  Generally speaking, it is a good idea with several
> benefits, but it's a major rewrite of the backend and a lot of spaghetti to
> unravel which I don't think people quite appreciate.
>
> What needs doing now?
> * I'm about to push for review my QDate changes excluding calendars to get
> them in asap. [2]

Good.

> * I need to post to the Qt5 list to get more direction on how to do the CLDR
> integration and what the parameters on it are.
> * We need to discuss time zones more and see the minimal changes needed for
> 5.0 as we won't have time for a full solution.

OK.

Please take a couple of minutes to refine this plan and put the 5.0 items in:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Qt_5.0_Merging
while the 5.1 relevant items should go in:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Qt_5.1_Merging

> * We need to figure out the right solution for getting KDE locale settings
> used in QLocale, which has a high standard to reach to get past Thiago :-)

Right, that said AFAIU it's more about internals right? Nothing which would
impact public API?

In which case it might be wiser to aim for Qt 5.1 for that part so make sure
all the critical public API work is done-done for Qt 5.0.

> I've got about 3 weeks to get the bones of this done, so heads down :-)

Go John! Go!

Looking forward to an improved situation there. Please keep us posted on
progress and/or blockers.

Cheers!
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net