Which package will provide the common KDE library version number ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Feb 18 17:57:34 UTC 2012

On Saturday 18 February 2012, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Saturday 18 February 2012 18:13:00 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 February 2012, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > > So the other possibility would be to have the version number in the
> > > main CMakeLists.txt of each framework
> >
> > This is the clean and obvious way to do it.
> > Each library defines its own version number.
> >
> > But...
> >
> > > which raises potential consistency issues...
> >
> > Exactly.
> >
> > > Solution would then be that the scripts used to generate the
> > > release tarballs verify the version is properly set everywhere.
> >
> > ...or scripts which regularly update the version numbers in git.
>
> Let's pursue that solution then. Anyone willing to take a look at how hard
> it would be to implement and have at least a proof of concept?

Just to make it clear: I think this is the wrong approach.

Just to avoid creating a tier0 KF5 entity, we create a script which does, when
executed, what this KF5 entity naturaly would be.

Or, maybe we should discuss another question first: what makes a library a KDE
frameworks library ? What properties do KDE frameworks libraries have ?

Can KDE frameworks libraries of different versions be mixed together ?
E.g. can I build a tier2 library against different versions of tier1
libraries, or does this in general only work if they have the same version ?
If so, they wouldn't necessarily share the same KDE frameworks version
number...

Can I install different libraries from the KDE frameworks set of libraries to
different locations and use them together ?

If the answer to these questions is yes, then KDE frameworks is really just a
set of loosely coupled libraries, which of course can have different versions.

If the answer is no, i.e. if these libraries should still be seen as one
coherent package, then there should be a package they all depend on, the KF5
package, as small as it may be. A library containing only a function which
returns the version, or something like this.
Depending on this small (header only ?) library would be the burden necessary
to get the stamp "you are a KDE framework library".

Alex