Which package will provide the common KDE library version number ?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Feb 18 16:15:36 UTC 2012

On Friday 17 February 2012 20:37:12 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2012-02-17, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> > Do we still want a such a common version number ?
> > If yes, who (which file/package) should define it ?
>
> No. It basically doesn't make sense. Also not in its current usage.
>
> if I e.g. take a kdepimlibs 4.3 and build against kdelibs 4.8, all my
> pimlibs libraries are versioned like they were pimlibs4.8.

That behavior is indeed a problem. Still we need a way to ensure that we have
the same version number accross all frameworks when we release.

And to avoid the current problem it sounds likely to me that it would be a
file generated when we create the release tarballs. CMake could then pick it
up when executed, if said file is not present (e.g. developer build) then
CMake should probably use the git revision instead.

How does that sound? Sensible or smoking crack?

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net