Which package will provide the common KDE library version number ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Feb 18 12:36:47 UTC 2012

On Friday 17 February 2012, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2012, 19:48:33 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > Hi,
> >
> > right now the common version number for libraries in kdelibs/KDE is
> > defined in KDE4Defaults.cmake:
> >
> > # define the generic version of the libraries here
> > # this makes it easy to advance it when the next KDE release comes
> > # Use this version number for libraries which are at version n in KDE
> > # version n
> > set(GENERIC_LIB_VERSION "4.8.0")
> > set(GENERIC_LIB_SOVERSION "4")
> >
> > # Use this version number for libraries which are already at version n+1
> > # in KDE version n
> > set(KDE_NON_GENERIC_LIB_VERSION "5.8.0")
> > set(KDE_NON_GENERIC_LIB_SOVERSION "5")
> >

> > So whichever package wants to have a common version number with the rest
> > of KDE, uses this.
>
> ("rest of KDE" is what?)

either those which made up kdelibs before, or those + kdesupport, or all of
KDE SC, or those which will be considered KDE frameworks, ....

Yes, it is becoming very unclear.

> Which is somehow broken anyway for packages outside of kdelibs. E.g.

Maybe.
So, how do we do it for those that were kdelibs ?
When we started with KDE4, it was important that there is one place where the
version number has to be updated, and not 50 all over svn.

Alex