Strange commit to FindKDE4Internal.cmake

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:39:14 UTC 2012

Am 17.02.2012 17:33, schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> On Friday 17 February 2012, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>> Am 17.02.2012 15:07, schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
>>
>> Hi Alex
>>
>>> I saw a recent commit from you to FindKDE4Internal.cmake:
>>> http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=kdelibs.git&a=commitdiff&h=ca501aa9f4
>>> c1e7adcd42accbd53538502ba50ce3&hp=3186e7a5f3acfaa5b5ac1b5cce9315eb53f5465
>>> 5
>>>
>>> with the commit message "on win32 we need access to the installed cmake
>>> modules dir ".
>>> This looks wrong. Why do you add
>>> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/apps/cmake/modules to CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ?
>>> In general this directory does not even exist at buildtime (since you can
>>> install to anywhere).
>>> Who did you need ?
>>> We ned to do that properly.
>>> It would be great if you could join the kde-frameworks mailing list, so
>>> we can make sure that the modularized kdelibs work properly under
>>> Windows too.
>>>
>>> Alex
>> This  related to the commit before
>> http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=kdelibs.git&a=commit&h=3186e7a5f3acfaa5
>> b5ac1b5cce9315eb53f54655, which moves out FindKDEWin.cmake and related from
>> kdelibs into kdewin package.
> Ok, this previous commit was wrong.
> Please move these three files back, and remove that line again
>
> A library must never install the Find-module for itself.
>
> This defeats the purpose. This is like putting the remote control right next
> to the TV, or the treasure map right into the treasure chest. You don't know
> where the plan is, but once you found the plan, you already found what you are
> interested in and don't need the plan anymore.
>
> Additionally, in general ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} does not have to exist yet at
> cmake time, so it only happens to work if you "accidentially" use the same
> install prefix as you used for kdewin32.
>
> So, in the 4.x branch, please move these files back to kdelibs.
> For the frameworks branch, they will go into extra-cmake-modules, so they will
> be available to you (after a find_package(extra-cmake-modules).
>
> Ideally the kdewin32 library should install a cmake config file for itself.
The KDEwin package is used by several low level packages or packages at
qt level where FindKDEWin.cmake package is not present and is required
to be installed by the kdewin package or has to be included in every
package, which is bad - kdelibs is still an additional client.

Does the cmake config file provide the same level of features as the
FindKDEWin.cmake would give ?  Then it would be possible to switch over.

Regards
  Ralf