KDEInstallDirs.cmake in extra-cmake-modules

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Feb 16 23:41:49 UTC 2012

On Thursday 16 February 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I added today a KDEInstallDirs.cmake to extra-cmake-modules, and
> > increased the version number to 0.0.3.
> >
> > Please have a look at it.
>
> Looks pretty much as discussed before, thanks.
>
> > Compared to what is in FindKDE4Internal.cmake
> > * I removed those directories which are not used, according to David
> > * all install dirs are relative by default
> > * 64bit and also Debian multiarch is taken into account
> > * LIB_SUFFIX doesn't exist anymore, simply set LIB_INSTALL_DIR if the
> > default is wrong (it shouldn't be wrong)
>
> Looks good. I do still think that we should be separating 'kde stuff' from
> stuff that makes sense in general (this lib install dir prefix stuff should
> be used everywhere for example, but only kde wants KCFG_INSTALL_DIR).

See it this way: GNUInstallDirs.cmake contains the install dirs used and
recommended by GNU (applications), KDEInstallDirs.cmake contains the install
dirs used and recommended by KDE (applications).

So, whoever is fine with the subset what is in GNUInstallDirs.cmake, can use
that, who needs more, can use KDEInstallDirs.cmake.

> However, if that really becomes an issue we should be able to split out the
> useful stuff in the future if needed.
>
> > It still has the feature to pick up the variables from a package which
> > has been installed before to the same prefix (i.e. "kdelibs"), which I
> > think we want to keep.

...and which opens the interesting question: which package will set those
defaults when being installed ?
It is not e-c-m.

> > It also still uses the string "kde4", e.g. for the plugin install dir,
> > the OSX bundle install dir, and some more.
> >
> > I think it should not stay that way, because the plugins will not be
> > compatible.
> > What should it be then, so that it is also safe for future upgrades ?
> > "kde5", "kf5", ... ?
>
> I'd still go with kf5.
>
> > I think we should keep the "kde" in the string, so the name stays
> > present. That's why I also named the file "KDEInstallDirs.cmake" and not
> > "KF5InstallDirs.cmake".
> >
> > Comments ?
>
> I think kf5 is a name that kde can own anyway, and which we can use.

I mean, "kde" is a well-known name, we should not hide it.

Alex