Replacing obsolete ecm_version() with ecm_set_version_variables()

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Apr 19 20:19:22 UTC 2012

Hi,

extra-cmake-modules has the macro ecm_version(), which is deprecated and
should not be used.
It is undocumented, as a function name "ecm_version()" is bad (e.g. it doesn't
contain a verb) and as a user it is very unexpected to me why I should use a
variable named "ECM_VERSION_MAJOR" for my own project, since such a variable
in general contains the version number of the package "ECM", and not something
specific for my project.

Now, the CMakeLists.txt in the frameworks branch contain:

# -- Maintained by scripty
ecm_version(5 0 0)
# --

This should be replaced with

ecm_set_version_variables(KWidgets 5 0 0)

which will result in the variables
 KWidgets_VERSION_MAJOR
 KWidgets_VERSION_MINOR
 KWidgets_VERSION_PATCH
 KWidgets_SOVERSION
 KWidgets_VERSION_STRING

being set.

Can somebody have a look at that, or would this be something for the kf5 day ?

Does scripty have to be updated ?
How is that done ? (I have never done that).

Alex