libkwidgets (Re: patches on kcolors)

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 11:55:46 UTC 2012

Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas wrote:

> On 11 April 2012 00:54, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Is this a patch for 'frameworks' or for 'frameworks-kcolors'?
>>

> which one? the sonnet one?  All of them are for the kwidgets branch.

It's not clear which patch you're talking about. As far as I can see, you
didn't really post the patches individually, but just posted the moevs that
you made along with the CMakeLists changes you made (as one patch).

I'd suggest you try to move fewer things at once and make sure the entire
branch builds (not just the parts you move). You want to move the things at
the bottom of the dependency tree first.

> I can make the move in the frameworks(of course a review first), but then
> I will need the change.

Yes, you can post the patches here for review. The best would be to use git
show -M -C <sha1> to create the patches so we can review them and I can do a
build to make sure it builds.

>> Per Steve's last emails, you don't have to do two separate commits
>> anymore, use git show -C -M to make the patch.
>>

> I haven't commited anything(git commit) so I can just put them into one
> branch.

Commit locally and use git show -M -C. Don't push it yet though.

> Should I push everything except sonnet?

Probably not. Lets review it first.

> Have you seen my issue about splitting?
> Also with all this cherry pick now we can't merge my branch. Right?

It's better that I cherry pick from your branch so that history remains
buildable, or that you move files, post patches for review, I'll do a test
build, and one of us push the result.

I'm still not sure I understand the goals of your moves though. What classes
do you still want to move? Do you have some kind of plan, or are you just
trying to move everything from kdeui a few classes at a time? Why not just
rename kdeui? Why rename kdeui? Do you plan on addressing any of the causes
of interdependencies?

I'd suggest that a better contribution would be to analyse what dependencies
exist and why. For example, look at KLed. It depends on the colors stuff
that is now in kdeguiaddons. Does it need to?

Thanks,

Steve.