kdelibs splitting: April iteration

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Apr 6 19:30:13 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 03 April 2012 16:16:16 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> It's a lot of moving files around, and it seems that after some files were
> moved around, some other files were noticed as dependencies, so they were
> then moved too. There doesn't seem to have been any questioning of 'should
> this class even still exist anymore', with the exception of porting
> KColorDialog away from KHBox (which I have just cherry-picked into
> frameworks).
>
> For example, KDialog was pulled in because the color dialogs use KDialog
> presumably. I don't know if KDialog should still exist, but in a later
> patch  KPushButton was pulled in too, presumably because KDialog uses
> KPushButton.
> If there is concensus on that, the code which is to be moved should instead
> first be ported away from KPushButton before being moved to a framework.

Yes, we are discovering some things as we go. I agree that it could be done
differently, but at this point I would really like to take the shortest path to
merging the two branches. I.e. finishing kwidgets, even with "too much stuff in
it", to be able to merge the kcolors branch, and then we can look into whether
some stuff needs to be moved out of kwidgets again, and probably into
kde4support instead, once everything else in kdelibs is ported away from it.

Nothing is set in stone, it's all about moving forward in the right direction,
and at this point I think merging the efforts is more important than 'doing it
right' and thus prolonging the separate branches.