kdelibs splitting: April iteration

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Apr 2 22:57:15 UTC 2012

Hello,

So March is gone and April already started. Because of some of March left
overs the list for April is somewhat long.

# Frameworks list
Here is the list of frameworks to be split with the person responsible for
it[*] (who become de facto maintainers of said frameworks except if specified
otherwise):
 * karchive: Mario Bensi;
 * kidletime: Dario Freddi;
 * kconfig + kconfiggui: Laszlo Papp (with the help of Helio Castro);
 * kitemviews: Stephen Kelly;
 * kaction: Antonis Tsiapaliokas (splitting only);
 * kguiaddons + kwidgets + kcolorwidgets: Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas (splitting only
with the help of David Faure);
 * kjobwidgets: myself (it includes reevaluating if it's really pertinent to
have such a framework, expect a RFC from me during the month).

If anyone sees a problem with those goals for April (apart from the points I
address later on in this email), please speak now!

# Maintainers needed!
If you followed, that means we still lack maintainers for the following
upcoming frameworks: kaction, kguiaddons, kwidgets and kcolorwidgets.
Volunteers still needed!

Now a couple of extra things to consider.

# Why is the list large this month?
As I pointed out, the list for this month is somewhat large, it contains 10
frameworks in total! I've been wondering if I should postpone some of the
frameworks then and decided against for the following reasons:
 * karchive, kaction, kguiaddons, kwidgets and kcolorwidgets got already
started in the previous months and are close to be done anyway, so it's really
just a matter of the people involved to not disappear and complete the work;
 * kidletime is already well self-contained AFAICT, and Dario is free again
since kauth made it;

That means 6 out of 10 mostly secured already, only 4 needing the usual amount
of work (two being closely related). Since so far we managed between 3 and 5
splits during an iteration (and each times they were at least a couple of
"almost done" ones which I didn't count), it seems doable.

# RFC: rebase frameworks-kactions and frameworks-kcolors branches
The work on kaction, kguiaddons, kwidgets and kcolorwidgets is for now
happening in two separate branches. I think that was a good move at the time
to get Giorgos and Antonis up to speed. But now that they are in a somewhat
good shape (only kdeguiaddons seem to need some renaming at that point), it's
probably time to rebase them on top of the frameworks branch and kill them to
give more exposure to that work. Any opinion?

Thanks for listening, feedback and comments are welcome.

Regards.

[*] And by that I mean that those persons don't have to make all the work
themselves if they wish to. Still they have to make sure progresses are made,
which includes recruiting depending on their needs.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net