KcoreAddons

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Oct 14 12:33:30 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 28 September 2011 20:00:49 Romain Perier wrote:
> > The solution for KSaveFile is actually to split it up into two separate
> > things.
> > There's the class -- that one should stay.
> > And there's a bunch of static methods which are unrelated to ksavefile
> > and are all about backups. These should move into a new class or
> > namespace, and for sure into new .cpp/.h files. And since that's not
> > used inside kdelibs, we can always move it up together with kconfig
> > itself for now.
>
> Ok, I will create a kbackups.{h,cpp} with a KDE5 TODO for now, we will
> move it up with kconfig later.

Great.

> >> * KGlobal ref-counting (found in KJob):
> >>     - Disabled for now, until it moves to Qt5
> >>     - We should import it to libinqt5
> >
> > Steve, what's the status on that?
>
> Yeah, please post to kde-frameworks-devel once it has been moved to Qt5.

Seems to still be caught in "arguing over the contributor agreement" step,
i.e. waiting for nokia legal to take action. This might take a bit more time
(or it will all be solved by open-governance next week...)

> > Reading a patch about this one would be useful actually -- does your
> > local git history have separate commits for "moving the code" and
> > "making changes to the code so that it compiles"?
>
> No.... :\

Any progress in making it so?

I'm a bit hesitant to touch anything in kdecore at this point, with such a big
change coming up.

> >> * KGlobal::charsets (found in KEncodingDetector):
> >>     - Add "static KCharsets * KCharsets::charsets()" [done]
> >
> > Very good move, this doesn't depend on anything else in kglobal.
> > That commit could have been pushed independently from the rest, but I
> > guess it's too late now...
>
> Why ? I can still push it to kdelibs-frameworks... no? (including the
> right changes into kdecore/localization, kdeui/actions, khtml and kio)

Sure. I was just saying we could have done this change separately, but never
mind.

> >> * kde_file.h :
> >>     - ??
> >
> > Tricky, we should look into how Qt does this -- but I guess it's all
> > hidden internally -- and whether we can port the code that uses it, to
> > QDir/QFile API.
> >
> > Well, there's an easy one, KDIR_SEPARATOR should probably be replaced
> > with '/' in the two uses in kdelibs, one is about a url and the other
> > about a non-gui local path. But I'm not sure I should make such changes
> > if you have major changes on your harddisk -- which is a reason to
> > commit this stuff without much more delays. Or maybe I'm just scared by
> > svn habits and git handles all this just fine...
>
> Feel free to make these changes, I can merge locally (with git or by hands).

OK, KDIR_SEPARATOR is gone, I'll look at other similar stuff.

> >> * kentities.c :
> >>     - ??
> >
> > Provides kde_findEntity which is used by kcharsets.cpp. So it's really
> > part of kcharsets.cpp, whatever happens to that :)
>
> It is also used by khtml/html/htmltokenizer.cpp.

Which isn't compiled currently. We'll have to come back to this later and e.g.
provide a real method for it somewhere.