use of QFileDialog

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Nov 5 11:20:07 UTC 2011

On Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:07:09 David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 05 November 2011 11:46:51 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hi :)
> >
> > since QFileDialog now uses the platform dialog, including the KDE one,
> > what
> > do people think about replacing more direct usages of KFileDialog with
> > QFileDialog? or is that already planned?
> >
> > i just looked at KIconButton and KIconDialog today which are in kio/kfile/
> > and it was interesting that the only reason those classes are in kfile is
> > because they use KFileDialog and KImageFilePreview directly.
> >
> > the usage of KImageFilePreview there is unecessary these days as the file
> > dialog does very nice in-dialog previews and the user can turn the full
> > preview on themselves quite easily. in fact, it's probably nicer to
> > respect
> > the user's settings for the file dialog than manually overriding things on
> > them.
> >
> > which just leaves KIconDialog/Button with KFileDialog usage. other than
> > the
> > preview widget, it seems its usage of the file dialog could easily be
> > replaced with QFileDialog, and then KIconDialog/Button (after being split
> > into two files as they should have been long ago :) could be moved into
> > the
> > appropriate split-from-kdeui library.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> I'm against s/KFileDialog/QFileDialog/ blindly everywhere, that will miss
> features,

yes, i agree 100%. i would like to see the following policies in frameworks:

* If there is no use of KFileDialog specific API that contributes to the
features in the class, use QFileDialog

* If a class uses KFileDialog, then it is considered a "platform" library as
it will not use the expected dialog outside of KDE's workspaces.

does that make sense?
where are we recording these kinds of library policies currrently?

> but in KIconDialog/Button it should be fine.

cool :) i'm nearly done ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se