The issue with the install dirs...

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Dec 13 22:27:56 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 13 December 2011 21:23:52 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Somewhat similar, do we still have the plan to provide like a wrapper
> FindKF5.cmake/KF5Config.cmake, which will include all libraries making up
> KF5  ?
> If so, which library/package should install that ?
> Who will install the file which contains the compiler flags we recommend to
> use for KDE ?
> Maybe the same as the one defining the install dirs ?

Actually, after we make the base modular, nothing prevents us from still
providing "easy to use, all in one" solutions, like maybe FindKF5 and a set of
easy-to-use install dirs.

All we're trying to achieve is that using that stuff isn't *necessary*, to
write a Qt+some_frameworks application.

But for the convenience of all the existing KDE apps we could definitely
provide what you suggest, from the still-to-come "tier 4" framework.
(the one without a proper name yet :-)

It's just that we have to resist the temptation to "put everything in there"
as before, so creating it late is a way to resist that temptation, by forcing
us to find modular solutions first :)

The goal is modular libs. The apps themselves don't have to be that much
different from before, in terms of build system and stuff.