KF5 current status

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:46:36 UTC 2011

Hi,

I thought it would be useful to have some statement of the status of KF5
ahead of the meeting at the weekend. I think I have a pretty good overview
of what is happening across the board.

== What is happening ==

A lot of the progress so far on KF5 has not been in the kdelibs frameworks
branch. So far, a lot of progress has been instead been in the area of
getting some of the required changes into Qt5 and CMake.

David has been working on QStandardPaths, QTemporaryDir and QTemporary file
to replace the KDE equivalents.

Alex has been working on getting features into CMake to replace automoc and
and some other stuff we've used such as macro_optional_find_package, and
he's been working on the clean-up and auditing of Find files in extra-cmake-
modules.

I've been somewhere between Qt and CMake as well as working directly on
frameworks.

I'm not sure if I'll make it to the meeting, so here's my choice of high
priority tasks for frameworks:

* Eventually Qt5 will reach feature freeze. We need to make sure that the
things that need to be in 5.0.0 are in by then (for BC reasons etc). We
should have a list of those essential things to have some idea of how much
still remains.

* Restore backwards compatibility. The issue I raised with
KGlobal::charsets() is still not fixed as far as I know.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.frameworks/37/focus=39

I also started a wiki page about this:

http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Strategy_and_Policies

In general there needs to be some audit of commits in frameworks I think to
see what else like that has crept in. This is made easier by the fact that
most commits in 4.7 were merged in instead of being cherry-picked, though
some people still cherry-pick into frameworks. I already sent an email about
not cherry-picking into frameworks a while ago. Maybe someone else could
send a reminder.

Tip: git checkout frameworks && gitk --first-parent

* Find out how to get more collaborators. The frameworks effort is moving
very slowly. There are very few people actively working on it. Part of that
may be residual thinking that frameworks is not relevant yet (the stuff
Aaron keeps bringing up), and part of it may be people not knowing what
tasks they can do.

* Create a place to put porting tools. kdesdk/scripts is a bit cluttered
with stuff. I'd prefer a new git repo for new 4-5 porting tools and scripts.

Please respond with the stuff you'd like to discuss at the meeting so we can
have an idea of what the content is to be.

Thanks,

Steve.