GSoC project discussions

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat May 30 23:18:13 BST 2020

Am 23.05.20 um 07:18 schrieb Prasun Kumar:
> cURLpp looks like a good choice. It is the official C++ binding for
> libcurl. Any other suggestions?

At least on opensuse distributions this library is not available for the
most distributions (see
https://software.opensuse.org/package/libcurlpp-dev), which requires to
embed this library in to ktoblzcheck, while libcurl (the same library
with c api) is available on all distributions (see
https://software.opensuse.org/package/libcurl-devel), which is then
prefered.

> I am thinking about how to approach the update checking part. cURLpp
> can download the file given a URL but I didn't find any inbuilt API
> for fetching the contents of a URL (directory) yet.

Fetching a website directory by a specific urlĀ  returns normally a html
page, from which the wanted content could be extracted. See for example
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ktoblzcheck/files/ and inspect the
source code.

To get always the latest version of a specific file or directory, on the
server there can be a symbolic link added. See for example
https://download.kde.org/stable/umbrello/. The 'latest' directory is a
symlink to currently '2.31.1'.

Ralf