GSoC project discussions

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon May 11 17:54:35 BST 2020

Hi,

On Montag, 11. Mai 2020 12:37:37 CEST Prasun Kumar wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> So for the database, I am considering this approach.
> At the time of release, the project will ship with a DB file which will
> have a column of valid_upto for each entry. This valid_upto value would be
> the last date of the current quarter. Then, at the time of build, the raw
> file will be downloaded from the bank. For each of the entry in the raw
> file, the python script will lookup in the DB using the BLZ code and update
> the valid_upto value to the last date of the current quarter. If there is
> no entry in the DB file corresponding to it, then a new entry will be
> created. In this way, only those entries will be updated which exist in the
> recent raw file.
> When querying the database for use in the program, only those entries will
> be selected which are valid at the current date.
>
> Will this work?

Hmm, I don't know.

What is the process to obtain new data files? How do you envision that? Is
this some automatic process or does it require human intervention?

I am not sure, if you need to store a 'valid_until' information in the DB.
What you describe above would let me think that the user cannot use the
data without obtaining fresh data in regular intervals.
I think this is not user friendly, as most of the data is still valid in
the following quarter as it does not change.

What if you miss an update cycle? How do you envision to handle that in
the database?

In the file valid for the timeframe 09.03.2020 to 07.06.2020 you can
find the following record:

58561250	1	Volksbank Hermeskeil -alt-	54411	Hermeskeil	Volksbank Hermeskeil -alt-	65088	GENODED1HER	38	028094	D	0	58560103

and looking at the document for deletions as per 09.03.2020 which is contained in

https://www.bundesbank.de/resource/blob/602618/a9613f52750e3a78be35d4a5c71d4861/mL/blz-loeschungen-aktuell-data.pdf

you see, that BLZ 58561250 has a successor as of March 9th 2020 with BLZ 58560103.
In this case, it would be nice to provide some information that the BLZ has changed
(which might also affect the account number, but that is a different story).

Another example from the above file:

27190082	1	Volksbank Helmstedt -alt-	38337	Helmstedt	Volksbank Helmstedt -alt-	92032	GENODEF1HMS	28	022305	D	0	00000000

has been deleted as per March 9th without successor so it can be removed but
it is still contained in the list (with the information about the deletion).

So it is not so easy to just take the list as is without interpreting the contents
as it contains invalid (in the sense of your software) entries which you don't
want to add to the database or better remove from it.

https://www.bundesbank.de/en/tasks/payment-systems/services/bank-sort-codes/download-bank-sort-codes-626218
by the way contains some information at the top of the page how deletions should be handled.

This is very specific to Germany and I have no idea how that maps to other countries.

Hope that helps.

Thomas Baumgart

SPF, SRS, DKIM, DMARC... the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse -- nicolas17 on #irc