Week 2 & 3 commits

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Jul 4 11:01:58 BST 2020

On Samstag, 4. Juli 2020 11:41:30 CEST Ralf Habacker wrote:

> Am 04.07.20 um 10:57 schrieb Prasun Kumar:
> > Thank you for this advice. Although, before rebasing, I did some
> > searching and found about this rule.
> > As I understood, since no one has done any work based on my commits
> > yet, it was safe to do the rebasing.
> > Please correct me if I am wrong as I have not used git rebase before.
>
> We specified the branch, where the GSOC stuff is added, as feature
> branch (explained for example at
> https://bocoup.com/blog/git-workflow-walkthrough-feature-branches).
>
> While working on a feature branch, the branch it is based on may receive
> additional commits and may require you to update the feature branch to
> stay current. This is especially true when working on a feature branch
> for a long time.

To keep the feature branch current, two methods exist:

- rebasing the feature branch on top of the changes on the original branch (master)
- merging the changes on original branch into the feature branch

where the latter method is safe when you have pushed the feature branch to
a public repo.

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/merging-vs-rebasing has a lengthy but
detailed description about the topic.

Thomas Baumgart

The gates in my computer are AND,OR and NOT, not Bill