[Kde-finance-apps] Re: Mentor For Alkimia in SOK

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Sun May 15 14:53:12 CEST 2011

My comments below.

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Klaas Freitag <freitag at kde.org> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 14. Mai 2011, 15:19:25 schrieb Alvaro Soliverez:
>
> Hey,
>
>> Hello Puneet,
>> to move forward, I'd ask you add a page for the use case in the
>> communiti wiki, and add there a brief scheme of how think the use case
>> should be implemented.
> Yes, there is already a start here:
> http://community.kde.org/Alkimia/Usecases
>
> Moreover, we have some code in a directory called alkdbus in playground/office
> Is somebody actively interested in it? I did some trivial patches to it, is it
> ok to commit or want somebody to review?

Commit the patches, but there is going to be a big restructuring of
all those directories.

> Moreover, I have some more remarks or comments, mainly to experienced devs
> here:
> - in playground there is also the alkquotes project, which seems to  be in a
> proper state in terms of code. Is it working for you? Is somebody active on
> it? If its ok so far, wouldn't it be good to move it to the extragear alkimia
> and try to provide a simple little plasmoid, which would make the existance of
> Alkimia a little visible? Can somebody estimate how much work that would be?

I'm working on alkquotes. Some base classes are going into libalkimia,
as data transfer objects.

Also, to allow for code sharing, the backend directory of alkquotes
should become alkimiaserver, the main folder where the server code is
going to be. The UI folder, which holds only the code needed to
display quotes data, is going to be an application of its own.

> - Just for my understanding as a dbus novice, the new service for transactions
> (lets call it alktrans for now until somebody can come up with a better name)
> would start as project similar and parallel to alkquotes, right? It would not
> be integrated in alkquotes?!
> Given that, how can we share code useful for alkquotes and alktrans, for
> example the storagemanager from alkquotes?

See above.

> - On the wiki page, it says Alkimia should be limited to Qt. I do not really
> like the idea, as KDE provides us many useful stuff and we are KDE ;-)
> Do we need to keep that up?

No, the alkquotes backend code already has KDE code.

> I think these are questions enough for the moment :-)
>
> I am happy to see activity here, thanks Alvaro for your constant energy and
> great to have you, Puneet on board.

I still have a lot of work ahead to make the backend suitable to add
the transaction code to it. Help is welcome.

You can find me in #kmymoney in freenode. Hei_Ku is my nickname.

Regards,
Alvaro