[Kde-finance-apps] Brainstorming requirements for an Alkimia Quotes Backend: Feedback/Reality-Check Needed Please :)

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu May 27 18:38:08 CEST 2010

Hi all,

on Thursday 27 May 2010 13:57:32 Brian Cappello wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> >> Once we know all the building blocks and see how they fit together we
> >> can think about packaging and dependencies. Some sort of graphical
> >> overview on how
> >> all this fits together would be a good start (just my 0.02).
>
> Well, I got something started. It's by no means complete, especially with
> respect to the "higher level" backend control blocks - I still need to wrap
> my head around DBus and give that stuff the thought it deserves - and I'm
> also not quite sure if this is similar to what you had in mind? There's
>  just one pic, provided both as an editable svg and a png for easy viewing:
>  it should hopefully at least be enough to give an OK idea of how I was
>  thinking about trying to store data, and the primary operations needed to
>  be performed on them. Other ideas, suggestions, questions and of course
>  criticisms are all welcomed :)
> Pictures are "hosted" in the git repo: git://
> gitorious.org/quotebackend/quotebackend.git  [sorry about my sexy Inkscaped
> non-UML diagrams... and the method of distribution... file sizes were a bit
> over the list limit]
> Also note that intraday quotes are (internally) acquired (but not stored)
> via "CompanyInfo." Confusing, I know, blame Yahoo ;)  I'll probably try to
> make those specific keys invisible from the outside and only accessible via
> the specific intraday quotes interface.

Just stepped over

  http://opensource.bureau-cornavin.com/keurocalc/index.html#curconvd

which lists:

----8<----
curconvd is another binary package that can be generated from KEuroCalc source
package. curconvd is a daemon that acts as a currency conversion service over
D-Bus.

It works as follows : the curconvd deamon is started in the background. An
application that needs to convert monetary amounts "speaks" to curconvd via D-
Bus. The fastest way to do that is to use the D-Bus API. However, a shell
script, like the small example that is included with the program, can use an
utility like qdbus to communicate with curconvd.

The full documentation of curconvd application programming interface is
located in the file API.txt in curconvd directory.

Maybe, this is another building block for Alkimia. I did not find an e-mail
address of the author, but you might want to get in touch with him via his
kde-apps page http://kde-apps.org/usermanager/search.php?username=e-bischoff .

Thomas Baumgart

Windows are like... windows. Shiny, fragile, expensive.