[Kde-finance-apps] Brainstorming requirements for an Alkimia Quotes Backend: Feedback/Reality-Check Needed Please :)

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue May 25 20:16:17 CEST 2010

Hi,

on Tuesday 25 May 2010 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 May 2010 14:08:00 Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> It has a BSD-license, which is open, but not quite easy to mix with
> >> GPL code without a special exception. We went through such a problem
> >> with OpenGPG and it was such a big deal Thomas had to use a whole
> >> different library.
> >
> > Sorry, but I think I have to correct you here: it wasn't a license issue
> > but rather a packaging issue with the PIM libs.  The part where we had
> > trouble license wise was AqBanking being dependent on OpenSSL and us
> > being dependent on AqBanking.  The problem in the end was solved by
> > Martin converting AqBanking to use GnuTLS instead of OpenSSL.
>
> I stand corrected, that was the issue I remembered. It was about the
> time I joined KMM, so it's a bit foggy in my mind.
> However, aren't we at risk of getting into a similar issue?

I don't think so. The reason why we had trouble with OpenSSL was, that they
used a license similar to the old BSD license. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSL#Licensing for an explanation and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bsd_license with an emphasis on #3 of the old
license. That is not part of the new BSD license that TA-Lib is using.

Thomas Baumgart

BTW, just the planning of the test cases helped me
to improve the code a lot. -- Alvaro Soliverez