[Kde-finance-apps] Brainstorming requirements for an Alkimia Quotes Backend: Feedback/Reality-Check Needed Please :)

Brian Cappello briancappello at gmail.com
Sun May 23 01:02:34 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Fernando Vilas <fvilas at iname.com> wrote:

> On Friday, May 21, 2010 22:58:57 Brian Cappello wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I'm not familiar with Beta, but I can definitely add it. It's not
> provided
> > in the CSV so I'm going to need to do some research into regular
> > expressions/parsing websites, but that's fine, because it's needed for
> the
> > majority of these options.
> >

> In that case, I would just start with what is in the CSV, and make it work.
> Once that is done, then progress to more complexity, so design it to
> support
> both methods from the start. As Thomas mentioned, there are several
> examples
> of parsing webpages using a regex in the KMM WebPriceQuote object.

Sounds like a great suggestion to me! :)

On the note of Beta, I did some more research into this, and it's definitely
something I think the code should support... I owe you a beer or two :)
Initially, I'm fine with just ripping it from Key Statistics, but, in the
long run I think I'd like to calculate it manually because it's one of those
cases where there are more than a few unknowns wrt to how the value was
calculated that make values acquired from different sources non-comparable.
For example, some institution might want to use weekly or even monthly data
as their input because said data is closest to their time-frame of interest.
Meanwhile, somebody who only holds investments for 3-6 months would probably
prefer the Beta be calculated based upon daily data. It's also (apparently)
typical to use the S&P500 as the volatility baseline, but this is probably
not the best indication of "normal volatility" for people with international
portfolios, especially those involving emerging markets, so that's another
reason to support the manual calculation of Beta...

Soruce:
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/financial-theory/09/calculating-beta.asp