[Kde-finance-apps] Work on Alkimia during SoK

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:08:20 CEST 2010

Hello,
this is just so that we can organize ourselves. Here's my proposal for
the work on Alkimia that came up during this week.

Mukesh and Santosh are students of Season of KDE, so their scope of
work should be well defined. Brian, I'll check later with you if you
are interested in getting into SoK, which I think fits your case.

Mukesh will focus on getting a DBus service up and running that will
allow to input transactions and store them, and then retrieve them by
a number of parameters.
Mentors for Mukesh are Klaas and myself.

Santosh's work should be mainly focused on retrieving quotes from a
storage and then throwing notifications based on a global and
per-stock configuration. The storage could be a DBus service, a plasma
datasource, or a file. The notifications could be a systray
notification (KNotify?), an email or a sms message. The configuration
should allow to configure notifications when a stock is above/below a
certain value or percentage of in-day value change, etc. My main point
is that the storage should be flexible, eg. the application shouldn't
care much where it gets its data from, and notifications too, eg. we
don't know what options other people might come up with, so allowing
for at least 2 or 3 options will help iron out the design.
Cristian is Santosh's mentor.

Brian, if you are interested, you could work on a DBus service that
retrieves stock values via web or an import file and stores them for
later use (that same storage as Mukesh has to use). That DBus service
should allow for queries (so that Santosh can use it for his
application). Also, a GUI could be available to show the stored
stocks, with charts, sheets, et al.
Cristian, would you agree to co-mentor Brian with me? We have both
done some work on these areas, so we can help out.

Questions, suggestions, and even nitpicking is welcome. :)

Regards,
Alvaro