[Kde-finance-apps] Announcing: KNameNeeded

Cristian Oneţ onet.cristian at gmail.com
Thu May 20 20:54:40 CEST 2010

În data de Joi 20 Mai 2010 20:34:13 Brian Cappello a scris:
> Hi everybody :)

Hi Brian,

> My name is Brian, and I'm a just-graduated Electrical Engineering student
> from the University of Vermont, USA. I've been a really big KDE/FOSS fan
> for quite some time now, but I never really knew how to get involved
> beyond supporting users on forums and whatnot, so this will hopefully
> become my first real attempt at changing that...

Welcome to the KDE Finance group. By looking at the screen shot I think this
is the right place to introduce the application.

> For about 7 months now I've been (time permitting) cranking away on a KDE
> application for stock charting and technical analysis (using GraphicsView,
> TA-LIB, and (for now) free data from Yahoo). Unfortunately, it's still *
> *many** months away from me being satisfied enough with it for an initial
> public Alpha release, let alone a "trustable" 0.1 - please don't get *any*
> hopes up - but it seemed appropriate to at the very minimum give you guys a
> heads up to the code's existence. If there's anything I can do to help with
> Alkimia or something else, I'm not quite sure of how much help I could be
> or where/how to begin, but if it's related to the financial markets (or
> usability) I'm probably at least interested in trying my hand at it...
> Just say the word. :)

Any contribution to the design and development of Alkimia and, with it, to a
KDE Fianace applications package is welcomed. KStockCharts seems a good start
towards improving the Finance apps group.

> This is will be my first-ever C++/KDE/out-of-the-classroom program. As it
> stands the code is missing a *ton *of basic-required-functionality, what
> exists is riddled with bugs, the interface is
> *ridiculously*developer-oriented (see attached), I'm pretty sure it
> still leaks memory,
> the whole thing is single-process *and* single-threaded (argh UI-blocking
> KIO::NetAccess!), and to top it all off, the code just plain sucks. I've
> tried my best to at least iron out all (most) of the crashes, what's there
> more-or-less "works", but for now we're still talking about the *epitome*
> of Crap Software. (For instance, prices and related math all use
> doubles(!), indicators and their parameters currently must be hard-coded
> until I can finish wrestling with TA-LIB's abstract interface, session
> management and KConfig are currently non-existent, and the entire chart
> should probably be rewritten using GraphipcsWidgets and, where possible,
> non-manual layouts. The TODO list is just sky high, lol.) Literally
> everything about the code is under active development and is subject to
> drastic changes as I keep learning new and better ways to do things.

Looks like you need to open the code up so you can get feedback on it and who
knows, maybe some help to make it better.

> To be honest, this project was originally started strictly as a learning
> playground to better understand the design/usability/human-factors
> capabilities of the Qt/KDE APIs, as well as just getting comfortable with
> how "many-ish" objects interact. But, after this much time I've realized
> that I'm definitely sucked into this for the long-haul. [Programming is,
> IMO, much better than EE! And, maybe some day *way* off in my distant
> (probably crazy) dreams, I'll even be able to get some form of profitable
> systematic trading working... First things first, though, and there are
> *years* worth of those! ;] If anybody is interested in checking out this
> ugliness, with some helping pointers, I'll happily put the code up on Git.

As I've heard a lot of projects started that way. We're waiting for the git
repository. Did you think about continuing to develop this application in the
KDE repository? We just moved KMyMoney in the KDE repository about a year ago
and I think I can speak on behalf of the whole team that we feel very good
about that move. You should consider that if you plan to write a *KDE*
application and not just a Qt one.

> Well, I guess that's my introduction. I look forward to working with
> everybody!  :D

Nice to have you here, and we're waiting to try KStockChars out, and, of
course, to see the code :).

--
Regards,

Cristian Oneţ