[Kde-finance-apps] SoK coding time

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Jun 3 11:06:55 CEST 2010

Hi all,

on Thursday 03 June 2010 10:50:19 santosh kumar wrote:
> exams about to be over in next  two days :D
>

> I have started with my work ,but will need sometime to chalk out the
>  schedule.
>
> I need some help.
>
> can we use  dcop Knotify to send notification from a server to an
> invidual machine. if not can u suggest an alternative routine?

DCOP is not supported anymore. You should look into D-Bus notifications.
http://mvidner.blogspot.com/2008/04/d-bus-sightseeing.html shows an example on
how to do something like that. Some more background on D-Bus can be found at
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials#D-Bus

> how do u send emails to people from your appplication without using a
> mail client ? Is it weird? I'm a novice and u have to sculpt me
> initially.

Why would you like to send an e-mail? What would be the contents? I would not
want to send out e-mails automatically w/o user intervention.

> if this is not possible how do I use Kmail for the same?

That's probably a question to be posted on the kdepim-devel list. During the
first use of your program, make sure that you have a valid path to send the
mails. Otherwise, users won't like your software, because it does not work and
they don't know that they have to setup KMail.

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/First_program

> alvaro ,as per your specification I am keeping the source and
> notification different from core program  so they can be customized as
> per need.
>
> Bryan, I suppose you are creating a backend based on SQLlite, what all
> fields do you plan to have ? Will you have a time stamp field too?
>
> please treat me as  a novice while replying and refrain from esoteric
> replies . Is it possible to possible to query a database so that it
> returns a struct datatype? any help on the code front or any page
> suggestion?

What do you have in mind? Do you want to store the whole structure in a single
DB field or should each element of the structure (class) be stored in its own
DB field? QSqlTableModel / QVariant are some candidates to look into.
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qsqltablemodel.html

>   I am reading 12 hours next couple of days so if anyone wants me to
> go through some stuff they think is useful kindly recommend.
>
>  there must be some similar applications (which gets some input from
> an user ,queries a database, do some processing and sends some
> notifications,mails ).It will be great if someone suggest me one.
>
> want ot get something working ,that is the biggest motivator ,u see.
>
> waitng for responses

Here's mine :)

Thomas Baumgart

Mankind makes a lot of things wrong, but if you really want to
screw up, you need to use a computer! (Juergen von der Lippe)