[Kde-extra-gear] Git and the future of scripts to create extragear tarballs

José Manuel Santamaría Lema panfaust at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 21:48:00 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm working on an extragear project and until now, with svn, I have been using
the 'create_tarball.rb' script[1] to generate my tarballs. If I'm right, this
script has various limitations; it doesn't support creating tarbarlls from
branches (you're forced to package everything from trunk) and it doesn't support
git.

Since some day we will move to git and also I guess I'll do a branch my project
some day, I'm thinking how I will create tarballs.

IIRC I asked some time ago in IRC to Konversation guys how they where generating
tarballs and someone pointed me this:
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~apachelogger/+junk/release-script-refactor

I'm considering to start using that script (it seems better than
create_tarball.rb) but I'm at the moment open to other options like improving
create_tarball.rb to satisfy my needs.

But I will try to not waste my time before doing anything so my question is:
will be create_tarball.rb dropped in favor of Harald's script? Will they co-
exist in the future? I'm asking because having such script in a bzr repo in
launchpad seems a bit odd to be official for KDE.

[1]
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdesdk/scripts/createtarball/create_tarball.rb?view=log