[Kde-extra-gear] dikt

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 01:10:44 CEST 2009

2009/10/7 Cristian Târşoagă <cristian.tarsoaga at gmail.com>:
> Hi there,
>
> My name is Chris, I am an opensource fan and a c++ developer.
>
> Recently, I tried to find a DICT client for kde 4 (to translate strings
> using a DICT server).
> I am aware of the existence of a plasma widget but I wanted a desktop app
> instead.
>
> Eventually, I found this: http://diktv1.googlepages.com/
>
> It is written by Goran Tal, who previously announced this on kde mailing
> lists (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-announce-apps&m=124615161602195&w=2).
> Nothing happened after that.
> He allowed me to maintain this myself if it makes it into the KDE tree.
>
> I'd like to see this app in KDE but I have no idea on how to proceed.
> Aaron Seigo suggested to try kdeextragear so I'm here, in an attempt to try
> to join the KDE team and maintain this myself.
>
> How do I get the the extragear module maintainer's permission to add that on
> kde svn?

Cool. For some reason dict is still the easiest way to setup an open
source bilingual dictionary, my girlfriend used kdict a lot as she
studied for her German minor.

Basically you should import it into 'playground' on our SVN server and
develop it there. Once you think its ready to be put into extragear,
write some documentation for it and then move it into kdereview. Email
here and kde-core-devel for a 2 week review process before it gets
moved into extragear.

Ian