[Kde-extra-gear] Network Management to extragear/network

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 4 22:51:16 CET 2009

On November 4, 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 November 2009 11:54:30 Will Stephenson wrote:
> > I'd like to propose that the Network Management stack
> > (libs,knetworkmanager,plasmoid) moves to extragear/network in time for
> > KDE 4.4.  This way it's released but still has the schedule flexibility
> > to react  to changes in NetworkManager and possibly other network
> > management backend systems.
>
> The Plasmoid is not ready yet, and might not be in time for 4.4. It's also
>  not easy to split off. I'd not build it for now so we don't have people
>  accidentally using it and then wonder why it doesn't work. I hope I can
>  get some substantial improvements in in time for 4.4, but there's a good
>  chance that it won't be ready.

can we get a short meeting on irc together to discuss what needs to be done
for 4.4? it's bordering on the ridiculous that we don't have this done 2 years
into kde 4 releases, so let's make it a priority, figure out what's needed and
then get the manpower on it.

> > Does anyone disagree with this?
>
> I think it's a good idea. Maybe kdebase is even a better (I consider
>  connecting to networks basic functionality), but as you note, upstream
>  (networkmanager, connman, wicd, ...) might require intermediate releases.
>  We could probably still do those, even if we end up in kdebase, of course.

yes, i don't see how being in kdebase means no interim releases.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se