[Kde-extra-gear] KDE SVN license policy

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Fri Apr 17 03:40:44 CEST 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 16 April 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Very simple: GPLv2 is incompatible with GPLv3. That's why one you now
> > have to give the option to use v3 + some future versions.
>
> while i see the point of this concept for new code (as in: not written in
> the past) this is going to be highly painful for older code. as Robby
> notes, Tellico has been around and GPLv2 since ~2001.

The non-trivial contributions to Tellico come from a small number of people.
I will attempt to contact them to ask about re-licensing. It's better to do
it now, I think. If I don't get approvals, I can re-implement some of the
code myself. I've had multiple repository moves in the last 8 years

I have no objections to going to GPL2+, especially now that GPL3 is out and
the clause was added making KDE e.V. the approver of future versions.

Robby