[Kde-extra-gear] KDE SVN license policy

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Fri Apr 17 00:58:11 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm about to move Tellico out of playground and into kdereview, and one of
the things I was reviewing was the license policy at
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Policies/Licensing_Policy

I need a little help with the english wording which confuses me.

First, Tellico has been licensed under GPL2 from the beginning (2001 or so).
I removed the (or later version) clause from the license because it didn't
make sense to me to allow licensing under terms which I did not know at the
time.

Tellico falls under Bullet 5 on the techbase page. Do I understand the first
sub-bullet under 5 to mean the (or later version) clause is required, or
does it mean that I get to choose GPL2 or later version myself?

In other words, I'm required to dual-license or tri-license, correct? Rather
than having the author choose the license version, I'm required to allow the
user to choose the license version? I'm planning to stay with the GPL, I'm
just trying to understand the restriction.

If I'm reading that right, is there any particular reason? I've read a few
things about the faults of the GPL2 license, but none seem to carry enough
weight to forbid a GPL2-only license. Just curious...

Thanks!
Robby