[Kde-extra-gear] libksane release getting closer

John Layt johnlayt at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 16 23:34:28 CET 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008, Kåre Särs wrote:
> 1) Most strings for the sane options come from libsane. What is the best
> way to get translations for strings coming from non KDE libraries?

Umm, I'm no expert on i18n, so I could have entirely the wrong end of the
stick here, but Sane has some languages translated:

http://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/sane-backends/po/?cvsroot=sane

And according to the README file in there:

http://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/sane-backends/po/README?rev=1.9;content-type=text%2Fplain;cvsroot=sane

Frontend developers: I want to add internationalization support for my
frontend

* The Makefile installs files called "sane-backends.mo" in the directory
  "$(prefix)/share/locale/lang/LC_MESSAGES/", e.g.:
  "/usr/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/sane-backends.mo". For every
  language exactly one .mo file is installed. Earlier releases of
  sane-backends installed one file per backend, e.g. sane-umax.mo. For
  backward compatibility, frontends may want to check for these files, also.
* As mentioned above, GNU gettext is used.
* With other NLS implementations, converting the mo files may work.

How you hook that up to the KDE i18n is beyond me, but I would assume this
sort of situation has popped up before, perhaps try the i18n mailing list?

John.