[Kde-extra-gear] Copy keyboard shortcut in Yakuake?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Oct 4 21:31:16 CEST 2007

Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Yakuake permits one to set the keyboard shortcut for Paste, but not for
> Copy.  Could someone please add that functionality, or tell me how to do it?

Unfortunately the Konsole KPart component that Yakuake
is based around doesn't have an explicit interface to
request the selection in the terminal, or copy it to
the clipboard by itself, which is why Yakuake isn't in
a position to offer a corresponding action (by contrast,
the KPart does have an interface to send input to the
terminal, which is used by the Paste actions).

The Konsole standalone application doesn't use the
KPart but uses the same (private, non-public) classes
that the KPart is built around directly, and thus does
have access to such a capability.

As it stands I suggest making use of the fact that
selecting text in an X11 application fills the PRIMARY
buffer[1], which can then be pasted elsewhere using
middle-click or in Yakuake using the "Paste Selection"
action. You can also use KDE's Klipper utility to auto-
matically sync the PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD buffers in X,
and there are also command line utilities to access
either that you could use in conjunction with KDE's
Input Actions feature to set up all sorts of global
shortcuts.

[1] = This document explains about the multiple clip-
      board buffers X has by default:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-0.1.txt

--
Regards,