[Kde-extra-gear] Rethinking position on trunk x branches

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Thu Mar 8 14:13:54 CET 2007

Hi,

> Hi people ( again )
>
> Sharing ideas with some guys, specially the translators around me and
> sysadmin, i will step up on the subject and change the idea about branch for
> kde4.
>
> Please follow this line of thinking: Doesn't make sense develop old ( as a
> current release ) kde3 development on trunk HEAD and put the new ( as a
> future release ) on branch.
> We're rowling against flow, since translator always look for head and one
> stable branch.
> Creating the kde4 branch, we will create a 3rd copy of keg, and probably we
> will loose people because or lack of motivation or simple basic confusion on
> where to get and put things...
>
> So let's put the things on the right path.
> Trunk will be kde4.
> branches/stable to continue develop against kde3 ? Dirk, some suggestion ?
>
> My only question is, how much time you want to prepare for this move.
> I want to do it asap, on next monday, as in term of official announce and
help
> to port cmake things.
>
> So, thanks for all listening and let's start the cry out

As asked, I'm back on this subject following the old thread.
As far as I'm concerned I don't mind to branch keg either for kde4
or for kde3 svn should be easy to use to manage for that.
But I believe the way to is to branch all the keg.
If someone cannot work on kde4 yet can disable his/her application
to be built. AFAIK kde-i18n is breanching (or has already) so why
not following their example? If they've chosen to stay in trunk for
stable we can do that either.

As I told you in mine first, It seems silly to me branching every
single keg application.

Waiting for comments my best,
    Angelo