[Kde-extra-gear] Rethinking position on trunk x branches

Eike Hein kde at eikehein.com
Mon Nov 13 23:20:20 CET 2006

Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> We're rowling against flow, since translator always look for head and one
> stable branch.

At Konversation we talk to translators fairly regu-
larly, and most I've met cover trunk only, and don't
concern themselves with branches. Thus losing trans-
lation coverage is my prime concern.

Konversation is being actively developed for KDE 3.x;
we won't start porting to KDE 4 until next year. I.e.
the trunk codebase, after branching for KDE3, would
languish, possibly fooling translators into thinking
we're just not doing anything anymore.

Personally, I don't see a real need to branch all
of keg for KDE3 and switch trunk completely to KDE4
- keg doesn't do unified releases, and as we've seen
in this thread, definitely not all apps are ready to
switch to KDE4 development yet. Thus it makes more
sense for those apps that are ready to work in kde4
branches of their own IMHO.

--
Regards,
Eike Hein, hein at kde.org